The Passing Parade: Cheap Shots from a Drive By Mind

"...difficile est saturam non scribere. Nam quis iniquae tam patiens urbis, tam ferreus, ut teneat se..." "...it is hard not to write Satire. For who is so tolerant of the unjust City, so steeled, that he can restrain himself... Juvenal, The Satires (1.30-32) akakyakakyevich@gmail.com

Monday, October 19, 2015

Just my opinion, and no, this is not one of the pieces I've been working on



Doctors like modern architecture. Well, most of them do, anyway, if medical buildings here in our happy little burg are anything to go by.  I do not know why this should be, unless the doctors inside the very modern medical building want to convey a sense of being on the cutting edge of modern medicine. This would not be the first nor will it be the last time that someone used a building as a sort of freestanding advertisement for his or her own self-image.  I should point out that I have nothing against this sort of thing—if you have this kind of money and you want to make this sort of architectural statement, then have at it and more power to you, I say. There are worse ways to waste money.  What is interesting to me in all of this, however, is that while doctors are willing to spend all this money putting up fancy medical buildings, they almost inevitably try to save money on the parking lot. Actually, I should not say that I find this economizing interesting, because it is not; it is annoying as hell.

I would guess that most people have had this experience: you have an eleven o’clock appointment to see your doctor at his (or her) fancy medical building and while you have arrived at the doctor’s office on time, you have to spend the first fifteen minutes out in the parking lot circling like a damn vulture over the rotting corpse of a wildebeest because there isn’t enough parking to go around.  Now, I will grant you that missing the first fifteen minutes of a doctor’s appointment is no great loss for anyone. Everyone knows that time slows down in doctors’ offices and so your eleven o’clock appointment is more apt to be an 11:45 appointment in real time, but it is the principle of the thing that counts: you want to be on time, even if the doctor is not (and probably never will be).  I do not know why this is so—after all, no one goes to the movies at the show time listed in the newspaper; that way you can skip the trailers for movies that you have no intention of seeing and the stern warnings about turning off your cell phones that you have no intention of obeying—but hope springs eternal in the human heart, I suppose. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

|
<

3 Comments:

  • At 2:16 AM, Blogger Francis W. Porretto said…

    At last! I was about to have Extreme Unction said over your digital corpse.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Akaky said…

    No, no need for extreme unction yet, Fran, although some not too extreme unction wouldn't hurt, I guess.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said…

    Doctors... don't mention doctors to me, please.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home